Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Time to Plant Tulips?


At the end of October I cleared up a spot of myrtle in the church garden that I thought would be perfect for a few tulips.

My procrastinating did not mean forgetting. The weather has been rainy, way above freezing and not too late to plant some spring bulbs! So yesterday I stopped at a Flowerland and found just a few tulips left that nobody else wanted! They are called Rococo and are pretty funky looking. They were also quite a bargain at a 75% discount.

 I planted 21 tulips that were encased in "bloom pads," a new concept for me and really easy: one trowel, a few shakes of Osmocote and 3 packs of 7 dumped into the hole. I didn't have to space the tulips or even get my hands dirty.

Not snow!--packaging from the "bloom pads" 
They were grown in Holland (where else) and it said on the package they could be planted until December, so I think I'm good. If they attract some attention next spring with their odd color and 20-inch height--even negative attention--that will also be good!

3 comments: