![]() |
| The tree was decked out in red again this year--at the insistence of the husband, but I bought a few clearance ornaments for another time. |
Christmas is over and I am a bit bored already (watching TV/movies and a little cleaning/sorting). Although the weather is finally wintry/dark and although there was little Christmas cheer to save this year, I am not too depressed yet. However, I did get awakened from a deep sleep/dream with some bad news early this morning.
The Subaru Forester apparently has a few leaks--and well, as long as they are in there--might as well replace that timing chain now. It is 14 thousand miles over the recommendation on that and I don't think it has been replaced...
The steering wheel fluid pump they replaced in July has a little leak, too, and that will be replaced for free. Woop woop.
Spending money on an older car is always a bit of a kicker. I told the husband (who was not happy) to forget about the clearance deck furniture and just pay the repairs. I'll haul out an old table next summer if we need one (we have several nice wooden tables in the basement) and buy a few more stackable plastic chairs and/or spray paint a couple of the old Adirondack style chairs...
But--I have no car until Monday, when the steering fluid reservoir part comes in. Tomorrow I need to grocery shop and I will need to use the husband's precious Avalon, which I rarely drive. The street snow has melted and I should be able to safely navigate to D & W and back! The sales at the mall will still be there next week, if I have any money left. I am really not much of a mall shopper, but it would give me something to do...
Choir rehearsal was cancelled today and I really have no where to go until the New Year's Eve church service, and then, the usual party with old friends. I need to make an appetizer. I wish I could just download an app...
There are too many delicious choices for end of the year parties and I have seen them all on Facebook and Instagram posts. Last year I bought a dozen olliebollen at the new Propaganda Doughnuts shop downtown and I think I did something with bacon. It's national bacon day today (not international--that's another day). Two days for bacon! But I'm kinda over bacon right now...
After the news tonight, the husband took me (seems I am the only one with nothing to do/friends who are busy) to the second-to-the-last (penultimate) brewery on the list for the year. We sampled a cute flight of 5 and even enjoyed a few, particularly the Russian stout. I bought a couple bottles of wine as well, including a jalapeno wine--how crazy is that!
One more day to go this year ... and one last brewery to visit...
But lots of things to contemplate in/for the new year...
Will the blog continue? (The beer blog portion will come to an end, but will there be a new theme/project?)
What words/expressions will I attempt to ban from my life this year? (The husband is delighted that problematic made one of the lists this year as a word that should be banned!)
Full retirement for the one of us that has still been working full time will occur mid-summer at a time when (he) will be focused on the links/greens and might not notice the difference for a few weeks!
Will we throw a big retirement party?
Will we finally achieve some of that elusive weight loss?
Will our good health continue?
Will we see any more friends/relatives escorted into eternity? I think of in-law Aunt/second cousin V. and in-law Aunt Hazel V. and mother-in-law Grandma Rose who have passed on this year. I have no one left of the older generation on my side of the family. I have lost a number of first cousins as well. The husband has only one uncle and two aunt-in-laws left...
With the passing of the husband's mother we are now both officially in the older generation, but it is not at all clear that we are now wiser...
As predicted, I am ending this year with dots and trailing thoughts...
So, in all its multiple grammatical usages (I have just decided!) will be banned next year! (I already edited/removed four so's from this post...
Maybe a few less exclamation points...
Sooooo .... see you next year!!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment