![]() |
| A few clouds today over the red maple. |
As the days shorten and the sunlight recedes I sometimes stress out a little about getting things done before WINTER comes--when things like cleaning out the garage or planting tulips are usually abandoned for the season.
That's where I am now. Panic mode. So what am I doing? Flying to NYC!
December is always busy but I usually completely veg away the month of January. Early in the new year I will be alone for at least 10 days. I feel like I would actually welcome the cold boredom of a Michigan winter right now! Last year I told my friends I was hibernating for a few weeks.
Perhaps I will read a few novels. That would be novel!
The Discovery Tour will be over and I will have to think up some new things to look forward to in the new year...so far I have nothing planned! Yikes! Just more of the same--maybe a weekend in NYC or Orlando to break the routine at some point in early Spring.
That's where I am now. Panic mode. So what am I doing? Flying to NYC!
December is always busy but I usually completely veg away the month of January. Early in the new year I will be alone for at least 10 days. I feel like I would actually welcome the cold boredom of a Michigan winter right now! Last year I told my friends I was hibernating for a few weeks.
Perhaps I will read a few novels. That would be novel!
The Discovery Tour will be over and I will have to think up some new things to look forward to in the new year...so far I have nothing planned! Yikes! Just more of the same--maybe a weekend in NYC or Orlando to break the routine at some point in early Spring.
But, oh where will we make room for the books, etc. that will come home when the husband vacates his office in June? That is a new wrinkle--THE HUSBAND IS RETIRING.
The fall has recently included that Traverse City trip, the church garden pull-out and pizza party, a funeral in the Chicago suburbs, a book club event here with 14 for dinner, and now a trip to NYC tomorrow! So, some fun is sandwiched in-between the busyness and perceived (self-inflicted) stress.
I have my (two) lawns mowed and mulched and blown and bagged as of yesterday, but last year I still mulched the leaves--and the husband golfed--on the day before Christmas! It's never over until it's over! There is still a pile of giant sawed-down yews, leftover deck wood, and much more in the backyard!
But the deck is complete! Sanding happens today and sealing will be next summer when the treated wood dries out sufficiently. The rest of the backyard, which needs a complete makeover, contrasts now with the beautiful new deck. I am already imagining a concert/karaoke night/fundraiser/theatre on our massive stage of a deck! Grass seed, shrubs, patio stones, flower pots, table with umbrella and chairs, a dumpster, and a new shed needed first! Not to mention a new gas grill...
Please let it snow now. I think I need a long winter's nap.
But the deck is complete! Sanding happens today and sealing will be next summer when the treated wood dries out sufficiently. The rest of the backyard, which needs a complete makeover, contrasts now with the beautiful new deck. I am already imagining a concert/karaoke night/fundraiser/theatre on our massive stage of a deck! Grass seed, shrubs, patio stones, flower pots, table with umbrella and chairs, a dumpster, and a new shed needed first! Not to mention a new gas grill...
Please let it snow now. I think I need a long winter's nap.


No comments:
Post a Comment