There is a terrible little verse from a longer poem that everyone my age seems to know--with regional variations:
Spring is sprung, the grass is ris, I wonder where the flowers is?
Did my mother put this atrocious attempt at poetry into my head?
Well spring did arrive Friday night and we have had a pretty good week here in West Michigan. I enjoyed sunshine walking around Reeds Lake with O. on Wednesday--almost five miles--with bench breaks! It was in the high fifties. I raked a section of my lawn every day in my leather moccasins--I had forgotten about "grounding" since last year. I have snow mold, which is dissipating, but should really be raked up. I seem to be the only lawn around with so much snow mold. Why? I ask.
![]() |
| Closeup of my snow mold |
My daughter M. sent a photo from New York. Just as spring arrived there they got a dusting of snow--soon gone I hope. I will be there for a weekend very soon. I want to walk through Central Park in sunshine!
I am a little panicked about spring cleaning the outside world. I assessed several of my properties this week. I spread rabbit deterrent on the tulips which are up a few inches. I uncovered dozens of clumps of daffodils, lest they turn yellow without the sunshine.
But old man winter has left such a mess and I wonder how the green can ever break through. So many leaves. So many dead perennials. My poor old back!
Whether you have snow or snow mold or your hair is turning snowy, we have turned the corner on winter once again and it soon will be time to find out where all the flowers is ris (or riz).

Snow mold sounds gross! Meanwhile here in Central Florida, it is the Raining of the Oaks. The oak leaves have been falling for months now to make way for the new growth, but for the last two weeks the trees have been dropping nasty seeds and pollen everywhere. They are messy and brown and hard to pick up, and there is a thin yellow coating of pollen-y dust over everything outside. I've been waiting for it to stop so I only have to clean it once..... I guess we all have our own signs that winter is over. Here we jumped straight from winter into summer (it's been in the 80's all week) and seemed to have skipped spring, which is unfortunate because spring is so lovely, except for the tree droppings!
ReplyDeleteSpeaking of tree droppings, we also have those honey locust pods which make it look like the front lawn is full of excrement!
Delete