Tuesday, March 17, 2015

Bach and Brews?



Yesterday I tried to combine two of my current interests into one evening out. Founders Brewing Company was on my list for the year--it is one of the most highly rated and ever-expanding breweries in the area.

And, when I attended the symphony a week or so ago for a brass quintet performance, they were touting the upcoming Bach Festival and this new venue at a brewery!

I was intrigued and talked the husband, along with O. and her husband into going with me.

A brewery in Winter Park, FL just brewed up an authentic Boch beer for their Bach festival, probably the kind that Bach himself liked to imbibe. So Bach and Beer seem to be trending...

It was $3 pint night at Founders and the place was "hoppin" at 7:30 when we arrived. There was no seating available by the stage, but we managed to snag a table for four near the main door.

 At 8:00 the "Bach set" with solo viola and her laptop began. The first number was under-miked but even when that was fixed, the music could not be deciphered through all the revelry in the house. I think the true believers managed some seats near the stage, but we were happy to be seated anywhere indoors.

It was a rare March evening, with mild temperatures. Some young ones arrived in shorts and many sat outside by the fireplace and heaters.

It struck me that no one in our part of the taproom was here to hear Bach! They could have at least brewed a Boch beer for the occasion! Maybe next year--but if they listen to me, there will not be a next year. Maybe they can plan a shades of white hair (like Bach!) Boch Beer Brunch event instead.

As far as I was concerned, trying to mix an artsy fartsy viola performance with a noisy Monday night cheap beer night crowd was a big bomb! The irony of it all humored me immensely.

But I dutifully ordered (for the blog!) four samples, for around $9, while my companions went for the $3 pints.

Oatmeal Stout, Rubaeus, Imperial Stout, Porter

The tap list included 21 beer selections. One selection was 11.2 % alcohol and was $4.75 for a sample. The Imperial Stout had the highest APV that I have sampled so far this year, with 10.5 %.

Because there was no amber lager on the list, the husband settled for their famous Dirty Bastard, which is a dark ruby, malty Scotch style ale. I mixed it up with one fruity raspberry brew with a German name, Rubaeus, (with umlaut), but it did not pair well with my half-Reuben sandwich--or the pickle! I was trying to make it an authentically German night since we were here for the Bach! O. liked the Rubaeus and ordered a pint.

I will also note my selections on the monthly beer post (link below) update, but the most interesting draft choice was the single Porter selection on the menu, almost thick with coffee richness, but with just a little farmyard peatiness too--not enough to dominate or impact the finish. There was nothing here that I could not drink!

Tattoed symphony violist with her tech helpers


Discover Tour 2015

Note: I have never ever fallen when I have been drinking. Maybe that is the secret to avoiding the fall risks of aging!

No comments:

Post a Comment