Thursday, April 9, 2015

A Trip to New York City - the Highlights



I spent a long Easter weekend in NYC visiting my daughter M. and husband. I was asked what the best part of the trip was. I have picked four things!

First, visiting with them and seeing their new lifestyle up close in their lovely upper east side apartment was the primary reason for the trip.

Here is one view of the apartment across my big feet and new pants that I purchased at T.J. Maxx the night before the trip, with the counsel of friend J.



Second, it was Holy Week and I attended church twice. Brick Presbyterian has an almost 100 year tradition of performing "The Crucifixion" which we attended on Friday afternoon at 12:15. A hand-picked choir and professional soloists (especially the cute, growly-voiced bass) gave a polished performance of the old programmatic Stainer oratorio-style work that was moving and intriguing, with the big sound of their newer Casavant pipe organ adding drama, including a rumbling pedal solo which set up the mood for Christ's darkest hour.


Brick Presbyterian

On Sunday, all the stops were pulled, with a brass quintet, a rendering of the Hallelujah Chorus, Communion and an interesting parade of Presbyterian hats.

But when we imagine NYC, we think of the skyscrapers that dominate lower Manhattan. On the last day we took the subway downtown and visited "ground zero" (very changed from 2003 when I was last in NYC), historic Fraunces Tavern and Museum, Wall Street and a fabulous food court overlooking the Hudson River, enjoying the most outrageously tasty food of the weekend at Umami Burger.

Umami Burger and fries - no sauce needed

So coming in third was the visit to lower Manhattan, and especially, seeing the new World Trade Center. The photo below was taken from the churchyard (graveyard) of the St. Paul Chapel which was not destroyed in spite of its proximity to the twin towers. No photo does this structure justice. It is gorgeous. I was so glad to see and photograph it on this beautiful cloudless day.


One World Trade

And finally, a closeup photo of the Umami maple bacon sweet potato fries which, along with the umami burger, came in 4th on my list of the best of my trip to NYC.


Maple Bacon Sweet Potato Fries from Umami Burger


Next I will document more of the food and drink consumed, including many very New York things...

1 comment: